PrivateLimitless

7 posts
0 reputation

IGN: PrivateLimitless
By PrivateLimitless » 25 days ago
In case it isn't clear, i'm talking about the update from last Tuesday including,
"Cut Clean UHC, Vanilla UHC and Scenario Madness:
- Meetup time changed from 60 minutes to 45 minutes.
- Border starts to shrink at 5 minutes into the game instead of 20 minutes."

I'm going to talk about how I feel about this update, you can feel free to talk about how you feel in the Comment Section below.

I'm going to start talking about the large decrease of time, the first item listed in the update:
The fifteen minutes that were taken away was being used to gather materials for books so that people could have highly enchanted armor, and not just protection two (assuming that I would be able to get enough diamonds to make even that). I feel like fifteen minutes is such a large decrease in time, especially considering what is mentioned in the second part of the update. This makes it so that people who spawn next to villages with libraries have a guaranteed win, assuming they are able to actually attack players. Technically, you could make the same argument for when it was sixty minutes, but when it was sixty minutes players had a chance to get enough books for it to not matter. Some say 3/4 of the game is still there and that is good enough, I say 1/4 of the game is gone and that is annoying and hurts other players rather than helps.

Now, i'm going to be talking about the border shrink time changing, the second item on the list. I already talked about books, so i'm going to not mention it again, though it definitely fits in this section as well.
I'm going to start off using a hypothetical situation, which actually happens a lot to me in these three games. When a player spawns in, they spawn next to the border and is nowhere near wood. The player has to spend a lot of time searching for wood, when other players may have spawned next to a forest, which has nothing to do with this but still. Depending on how long it takes for them to find trees, the border is already moving. Thus decreasing the time they have to get apples and receive other materials that they need to have a chance at winning the game. 

All of these are time-critical. What I mean by that is that the time that is spent during the game is calculated, at least for me, and the amount of time that is in the game is important to having a chance at winning. That much time being taken out is too much and made those games seem like 10 minutes, in my opinion. 

But that's what I think. Let's discuss in the Comment Section below and have disagreements and spread awareness about this update. 

Thank you for reading,
PrivateLimitless

PrivateLimitless

7 posts
0 reputation

By PrivateLimitless » 25 days ago
I was told I could put the discussion here, so if i'm not allowed to, Sorry.

KaiNoMood
Admin

385 posts
35 reputation

IGN: KaiNoMood
By KaiNoMood » 24 days ago
The change to 45m meetup was voted overwhelmingly positively by the community in the few weeks the poll has been open.

I encourage discussion, but this thread is late!

This change clearly makes it harder to get top-level stuff. The hypotetical situations you have presented are not very likely and they're based on luck. Even if the border was not moving at all, you could have spawned in an area of the map without any tree for several hundreds of blocks around your spawn location. Also, it's more likely you'll not spawn near the border.

PrivateLimitless

7 posts
0 reputation

By PrivateLimitless » 24 days ago
I don't know if I interpreted this part wrong, but, "Even if the border was not moving at all, you could have spawned in an area of the map without any tree for several hundreds of blocks around your spawn location." sounds more like an argument to add more time rather than subtract to me. I probably interpreted that incorrectly.
Also, in the regular 750 x 750 map, there are usually around three villages in the map whenever I play, at minimum. These rarely contain libraries, but I still see it as a problem. Luck is a very large part of the game, it's hard to find a disagreement for that. Where you spawn determines a lot of how your game is going to go. But that is the same for a lot of games, depending on the game.

KaiNoMood
Admin

385 posts
35 reputation

IGN: KaiNoMood
By KaiNoMood » 23 days ago
The regular map is 1500x1500 blocks, from x -750 z -750 to x 750 z 750